Written by Bob Thompson
Parent Category: Career Planning
Questions one must consider before accepting a position of leadership:
- Will the new job serve my professional needs:
- Career advancement?
- Closer to University where I can pursue doctorate?
- New experiences or skill set
- Will the new job serve my personal/family needs:
- Higher salary
- Closer to family, medical facilities, etc.
- Better school for my kids
- More job opportunities for my spouse
- What do they expect of me?
- Can I meet their expectations (i.e. do I have the necessary skills, demeanor, etc. required to be successful) and will I be comfortable doing it?
- Will I have the authority to do the job?
- What is the skill level, attitude, etc., of the staff I will inherit (especially the secretary and the assistant principal) and what authority will I have to make changes if necessary?
- Are the budget and staffing levels sufficient to be successful?
- What is the environment in which this leadership must take place?
- Leadership style of new boss
- Political (who knows who)?
- Atmosphere (gossipy, open, closed, etc)
- Style (does the style needed fit my style?
- External (i.e. community attitude toward academics)
- What are my options if I take this job and fail or do not like the job?